B has had some trouble sleeping the past couple of nights. He woke up coughing several times, so we did a few breathing treatments. I got my allergy shots today so I set up an appointment for him, too, since we're pretty sure his coughing is because of allergies. Yesterday, I noticed that he had some bumps on his toes. Originally, I thought he got bitten by ants or something because my parents sometimes take the kids outside. Today, I noticed bumps with blisters on the palm of both hands and more bumps with blisters on his feet. Again, I thought ant bites. I was scrolling through facebook and I saw that one of my friends' sons has hand, foot, and mouth disease that causes blisters on hands, feet, and mouth. I looked in B's mouth and sure enough...blisters and white patches. He's miserable, poor thing. I wish there was something that I could do for him, but unfortunately, it's caused by a virus and there isn't anything they can do other than to keep him comfortable. That is horrible to hear when you're the mother and your child is crying or screaming his head off. We're putting their toys in a vinegar bath tomorrow to clean them off and try to protect K.
I went to work on Monday to plan more for next year. Before I got there, I received news that my great aunt B was in the hospital. I chalked it up to being something minor until I got to my mom's house with the kids. My mom said that the night before, she passed out around midnight. My cousin C performed CPR on her for about 7 minutes until the ambulance got there and did it again for another 17 or so minutes. Her brain was deprived of oxygen for almost 30 minutes! She was sedated and intubated when she got to the hospital, and shortly after, they put her on a feeding tube. The brain scan showed that her frontal and temporal lobes were not functioning. This means that if she were to wake up, she wouldn't be able to talk again. Testing also revealed that she can only feel pain. The temporal lobe is linked mainly to memory and the frontal lobe is linked to speech, memory, problem-solving, language, judgement, and motor function, among others. My cousins and uncle are having to make a difficult decision this week so I pray that they be at peace with whatever decision they come to.

No comments:
Post a Comment