I hate looking for new healthcare people. So much so that either I won't go, or I will drive a good distance to see the ones I like and that I'm used to. So, since we're closer to the ones we had before we moved to Wisconsin, I drive up there to see them for check ups. The rest of the time, I try to do homeopathic treatments.
I recently read about essential oils. There is so much information out there! I found a company that sells certified pure therapeutic oils that can be ingested, used topically or aromatically. They are safe for children too. I bought a home physician kit and we're giving it a try. I've only had it for 48 hours and I have already used at least 6 of the oils with success! Bryce got quite a few ant bites on his legs and feet, so we put some lavender on them and the swelling went down completely in two days. I am a firm believer that God put plants on this planet to treat our ailments. For something as simple as allergies, a cold, but bites, etc., He gave us the medicine for it. I also figured out that I could dilute lavender oil in coconut oil and put it on the bottom of mine or the kids' feet to help with allergies. Apparently, it is a natural antihistamine!
Even though we use homeopathic methods, I still balance things out by seeing a doctor for yearly exams. Mainly to make sure we're doing okay and if not, determine if there is something at home we can do to heal us. Besides, they are usually paid for by insurance companies at 100%. On Monday, I took the kids in for their two year check up with Dr. R. The kids' measurements are posted on the sidebar. They are both around 25% for weight and height, and 60% for their head circumference. My babies have big noggins. That's a good thing. Until they start using those noggins to try to manipulate and outsmart us. Oh wait. That has already started.
The doc said they look really great. B is a little knock-kneed, but that's normal. His arches are a little low (flat feet), but that's nothing to really worry about. He said it should get better over time. He didn't see their two year molars coming in yet. Sometimes they can wait until almost three for those to come in. Wow! I can't believe they're headed for the big threes. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Time sure goes by so fast. The whole time in the office, they sat up on the table...no crying, fussing, or anything. They enjoyed the picture of the whale's tale behind them on the wall and kept saying, "whale!" They're like their parents - they love marine life. I was really impressed by how well-behaved they were.
I think we're in the heat of two year old age. Kayla, especially, has started to get an attitude. With bossiness, that is not a good combination. I'm doing my best to nip it in the bud before it gets too bad. Discipline has become a major challenge. Bryce has a temper. When something doesn't go his way, he throws things, pulls hair, bites. Actually, Kayla does the same.
I have started a new morning ritual where I wake up, stretch, and do a parenting devotional with the Child Guidance book by Ellen G. White. It's a great book and it reaffirms my purpose and pumps me up for the day. Then, if the kids aren't awake yet, I'll make breakfast. They really like cereal, eggs, and turkey bacon these days.
They spend the majority of their days playing or we run errands together. A lot of times, I put them in the kitchen with me to help cook. A couple of days ago, they helped me make dinner. Bryce put the potatoes in the pot and Kayla put the scraps in a bag to freeze for chicken stock later on. It worked out really well. No whining, complaining, crying, or fighting. I stumbled on something. Keep their minds and hands busy as much as possible!
Occasionally, I let them watch Sid the Science Kid, Barney, Sesame Street, Word World, or Cat in the Hat on PBS, but not very often. I don't like them watching much television. I prefer them to play, color/draw, help me in the kitchen, or read. I have read some articles that state that kids who watch a lot of television have trouble focusing and aren't as creative as those who entertain themselves, so it's something I am cautious of. Anyway, tomorrow is a new day. We're going to meet a friend for a play date at the duck pond!
I absolutely love staying at home with my babies. It's a HUGE blessing!

No comments:
Post a Comment