My summer officially started on Monday, June 7th. I had an appointment to have a glucose challenge test done that day. I drank the orange soda, they drew my blood, and I saw the doc. They sent me home to collect urine for 24 hours and I was to go back in on Tuesday. They found protein in my urine, which is caused when elevated blood pressure overrides normal kidney and liver functions and causes them to not filter protein properly.
When I went back in on Tuesday, the results from the urine collection resulted in a urine protein count of 6,000 when protein should not even be found in urine at all. My blood pressure was high and the results from my glucose challenge test were a 171 for blood sugar. Normal is 100 or below. Based on this, she wanted me to come in on Thursday for a 3 hour glucose tolerance test. I went in to her office, fasting, as I did on Monday. They took my blood before I took the drink and once I took the drink, I was to have my blood drawn every hour for three hours. After I drank the orange soda, I started feeling nauseated and then I finally threw up. They stuck me in one of their patient rooms while I waited on the doctor to see me. Because of the amount of protein in my urine, my high blood pressure, and my high blood sugar level, she sent me to the hospital. Her reasoning was to reduce the amount of variables, like car rides, various foods, etc. so she could get accurate data to analyze.
So, here I lay in a hospital bed in room 368, on the 3rd floor of the Jones Tower at Harris Methodist in Downtown Fort Worth. It is Saturday, June 12th and I have been here since Thursday. Since I have been here, my urine protein level has gone down. My blood sugar has gone up and down. Last night, it hit 208, so they had to give me insulin - 4 units. Today, it hit 154, and I got another 2 units of insulin. During my last recheck, it was at 139. It's still not normal, but it is going down and I didn't need insulin. I had to get two steroid injections to develop the babies' lungs in case they came early, which is a good possibility. At this point, the doc said they will most likely not make it to full term (37 weeks), and that they will probably be born sooner rather than later. Our goal is to keep them in their incubator (me) for a little while longer. I am 27 weeks now so we need to make it to at least 30 or 32 weeks.
On the flip side, my second baby shower is tomorrow. This is one for family and friends. Since it doesn't look like I will be leaving the hospital anytime soon, we are having the baby shower here at the hospital. If we don't have a conference room, we will have it out in the waiting room next to the elevators. It's not ideal, but hey, it will work for now.
I'm exhausted so I will leave it at that. I will update more tomorrow.
Hugs and Kisses,
Momma, Baby Boy, and Baby Girl

No comments:
Post a Comment