I went in to the doctor's office yesterday to have a one-hour glucose challenge test done. When I arrived at 8:30, I hadn't eaten since 11:30 the night before so I was starving. At 9:00, I went down to the lab to have my blood drawn. No big deal. When the doctor finally saw me, they said my blood pressure was high. They had me lay down on my side and then they took my blood pressure again. It was significantly lower after I laid down. She asked me a few questions and then said she was concerned that I might have preeclampsia. She had me take two jugs home to collect urine in for 24 hours, stay on bedrest, and asked me to come back today at 1:00 for more blood work.
Today, I went to the lab to drop off my "collection" and get my blood drawn. When the nurse called me back, we noticed I had lost two pounds. The doctor said this was water weight. We went through the same thing as yesterday with the blood pressure. It was high when I was sitting up but it decreased when I laid down. Based on this, she determined that I would spend the rest of the pregnancy in bed, horizontal, for 23 hours a day. She said I have mild preeclampsia and we can probably keep this at bay for a while by keeping me on bedrest. She told me not to worry because this is not uncommon with twin pregnancies. The doc also mentioned that at some point in the pregnancy, she would hospitalize me, but she didn't know when that would be. For now, she wants to treat this on an outpatient basis. If things weren't bad enough, my glucose test results came back. My blood sugar level was 171, well above the normal range. I have to go back on Thursday morning, fasting, to take a three hour glucose tolerance test and she wants to see me at the same time. From now on, she wants to see me on a Monday and Thursday basis until she says otherwise.
I know that everything will work out, but I still can't help but worry about the health of these two babies.

No comments:
Post a Comment