Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Raising Children to Serve the Lord

This has been the most exhausting week ever for our family. On Tuesday, B started coughing a lot and wheezing. Wednesday morning, he was hoarse and was running a low-grade (about 100 degree) fever. K1 stayed home with him since I had parent-teacher conferences all Wednesday afternoon/evening. I set up an appointment with a pediatrician around here, who told K1 that he had a cold. Thursday, his temp shot up to nearly 103. He was lethargic and sleeping all day, definitely not in his character. I knew something was up, so we took him in to see another doctor in the practice. By then, we were told that he had a double ear infection. She said it could change rapidly, but honestly, I think the first guy missed it. I miss our pediatrician in Texas. :( K2 started feeling bad on Thursday as well. She slept most of the day which is out of the norm for her, too, but she didn't seem lethargic. Today, B has been crying and screaming most of the day. I noticed a red rash on both feet today (the size of a quarter.) I'm not sure what it is. One thing on the internet said that it could be a viral rash related to whatever virus that's causing the cold. I called the pediatrician and left a message for the on-call physician. Even though they said I should receive a call within 20 minutes, I still haven't heard from them and it's been nearly an hour. Needless to say, I'm not happy with this new pediatrician's office.

K1 and I met with a family counselor-minister today and last Monday. We are worn down and it's taking a toll on everyone in the family. Essentially, he said that we have too many things going on and we're stretched too thin. Something has to give. He recommended that I go ahead and end my contract now because my family is not going to make it much longer with me working and without help from other family members. Never would I have ever thought about ending a teaching job in the middle of the contract, but we have to step back and look at the big picture. My children and my husband need me at home right now. I don't like the idea of farming my kids out and having someone else teach them the values of life during this critical time in their life. K1 and I are both in agreement on this, as well as the counselor-minister (he's a minister who went back to school to become a counselor and he's a minister within our denomination.) He basically said that the family foundations set forth in the bible come first before work. In other words, family comes first.

I'm preparing myself for not being able to buy a bunch of stuff here soon, but I am going to look back on this moment and know that I did the right thing. I am putting my family before my career and money. God gives us children so that we can raise them to serve him. If we're putting them in the hands of someone else to raise them during these early years, then that defeats the purpose of him giving us these gifts. Now, I never used to feel this way. I thought it was wrong for a woman to give up her career for her family and stay home. Now that I have children, I have a whole new outlook. I think raising a family and taking care of a household takes just as much effort and skill as any other job (if not more.) We can't monetarily afford for me to stay at home, but I want to do what God expects me to and that is to take care of my family and raise my children to serve Him.

Good night,
Charla

No comments:

Post a Comment