Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, January 30, 2012

Quadruple Ear Infection?

B still wasn't getting any better, so I took him in to see the pediatrician today. His ears are still badly infected so we changed his medication. The doctor looked in K2's ear and her ears are now infected. The doctor actually told me to give the rest of the amoxicillin to K2 for her ear infection. B's original order was to take the amoxicillin for 10 days. The doctor said, "Well, she'll get about 8 days. That should be enough." Obviously I'm not a doctor, but I have taken my fair share of science classes in college to know that there is a reason that you're supposed to take all of the medication, even after you feel better. If you stop taking an antibiotic when you feel better, there might be a few bacteria left that will eventually multiply and become resistant to the medication. While I appreciate that the doctor was concerned about medication going to waste, I would much prefer a child who completely gets rid of this nasty bacteria that is making her miserable. I told her that I preferred K2 to get the same medication B was being put on. She put them both on Cedfinir, which is a once a day medication instead of twice a day like amoxicillin. They checked B's oxygen level and he was down to 93 (normal is between 95 and 100.) He was wheezing, also, and his chest was tight. We tried the nebulizer and he wiggled so I'm sure he didn't get much of that down. They checked him again and not much improvement. He's now getting an inhaler four times a day for five days.

To top things off, I'm out of sick days at work and the charger for my personal laptop (which I use for work) is broken and my battery doesn't hold a charge. Bummer. :(

What's the good news out of all of this? I've had time to blog and cook a little. K1 even came home from work early today so that I could go to the doctor without toting two tired toddlers around with me. (I didn't plan that alliterative phrase.)

I'm signing off for a few days since I won't have a computer. Hopefully the charger that we ordered from Amazon gets here soon.

Charla

No comments:

Post a Comment